Friday, June 15, 2007

The Metropolitan Insurance Company Tower


The Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower, also known as the Metlife Tower is located right across the street from Madison Square Park. It was the tallest building in the world from 1909 to 1913 when the Woolworth tower surpased it. It is 700feet (213meters) high. The design was inspired by the Campanile in Venice, Italy and was designed by Napoleon LeBurun & sons. The base of the tower was created in 1893 but the tower itself was completed in 1909. It has a sandy color and was made from Tuckahoe Marble. During the renovation of the building, plain limestone was used to cover the tower. When I first saw the tower I thought it was beautiful. I loved the colors and the clocks. The clocks are a greenish color and are very elaborate. My favorite feature is the golden turret at the top. It just puts the cherry on top. I love the way that the sun reflects off of it.

No comments: